The National Partnership for Climate Solutions (formerly the Climate Summit 2013 Coalition) was a broad-based non-partisan coalition dedicated to demonstrating to elected officials and other leaders that American’s from all walks of life support solutions to the climate crisis. Thousands of people including many Catholics and national leaders endorsed petitions to the White House for a Climate Summit. This program ended in 2013 after the White House told us that they would take most of our recommendations when developing their climate action plan, which was released in the summer of 2013. The White House took the recommendation to engage every sector and population in America in climate solutions.
The National Partnership for Climate Solutions (NPCS) began as the Climate Summit 2013 Coalition. The coalition came together out of the belief that Americans need to be directly engaged in climate solutions where they live, work, play, and pray. A solutions-focused Presidential climate summit, directly linked with action-planning meetings hosted by governors, mayors, business, civic, and faith leaders nationwide, is the best way to achieve that goal.
In early 2013 The Coalition changed its name to the National Partnership for Climate Solutions because it saw the need for a broad-based non-partisan coalition to promote climate solutions over the long term. A national climate summit linked directly with action-planning meetings in communities across the country was the top priority of the NPCS.
NPCS Press Releases and Actions
- June 25, 2013: Press Release: The NPCS Says President's Climate Plan is Excellent Start: Urges Broad Scale Public Engagement in Solutions.
- March 26, 2013: Press Release: Report Finds Climate Disruption is a Choice Between "Jobs vs. Jobs", not Jobs vs. the Environment
- February 2013: Press Release from Governors, Mayors, Business, Civic, and Faith Leaders to the President Supporting a Climate Summit
- 2012 Petition to the President Supporting a Climate Summit. More than 1,050 people signed this petition--view the list here.
Niemi, Ernie & Bob Doppelt. 2013. "Jobs vs. Jobs: The Refusal to Rapidly Cut Greenhouse Gas Emission Is Destroying Jobs, The Economy, and The Climate."
NPCS Steering Committee
- Deborah Fikes, Executive Advisor, World Evangelical Alliance and Board of Directors, National Evangelical Association
- Frank Nutter, Reinsurance Association of America
- Jan Ahlen, National Farmers Union
- Jacqui Patterson, NAACP
- Bryan McGannon, American Sustainable Business Association
- Rev. Richard Cizik, New Evangelical Partnership for the Common Good
- Rob Sisson, ConserveAmerica
- Ted Glick, Chesapeake Climate Action Network
- Jose Aguto, Friends Committee on National Legislation
- Brigadier General (ret) Steve Anderson, RELYANT LLC
- Valerie Serrels, iMatter/Kids Versus Global Warming
- Amy Davidsen, The Climate Group
- Jeremy Peters, American Farmland Trust
- JR Tolbert, National Caucus of Environmental Legislators
- Patrick Carolan, Franciscan Action Network
- Victoria Loorz, iMatter/Kids Versus Global Warming
- Lt. Gen (ret) Norman Seip, USAF
- Bob Doppelt, The Resource Innovation Group and National Climate Ethics Campaign